My oldest brother is a teacher and a buddhist, and also a buddhist teacher. He has formed a small nonprofit organization called InfiniteSmile.org that helps people understand practical ways to adopt spiritual lessons into their daily lives.
Mike figured out a few things about the Internet without any formal experience online and recently launched a new web site:
- his web site can serve as a net to catch new customers
- posting regularly keeps people coming back
- an email newsletter is a nice reminder to his customers that they have a relationship with him
- podcasting and blogging is a great way for him to distribute his teachings and engage other people also talking about the topic out there
- customers are willing to pay for specialized events where they can dive deeper into subjects and socialize with other members of what is becoming a community
- he will likely be able to sell other deep dive materials like a book, for example
The formula works in amazingly diverse contexts.